A shared vision and values
Outback Stores is a wholly owned Commonwealth company and is currently under the Prime Minister and Cabinet Portfolio.
The company emerged in 2006 from a need to improve the health of Indigenous people in remote Australia by addressing nutrition-related health problems, unreliable food supplies, stores closing because of poor management and build-up of debt.
Outback Stores provides a fee for service management contract that includes:
- Supporting remote communities who require food security
- Underpinning financially unviable stores to remain open
- Delivering positive social outcomes whilst maintaining strong commercial principles
- Presentation of financial reporting regularly to communities
- Returning any profits to the community
- Access to funding from the Australian Government