How We Operate
The Outback Stores structured approach to providing enduring value and improving the local economy of remote communities.
A shared vision and values
Outback Stores is a wholly owned Commonwealth company and is currently under the Prime Minister and Cabinet Portfolio.
The company emerged in 2006 from a need to improve the health of Indigenous people in remote Australia by addressing nutrition-related health problems, unreliable food supplies, stores closing because of poor management and build-up of debt. Read The Ministers Expectations and Outback Stores Statement of Intent.
Outback Stores provide a fee for service management contract that includes:
- Supporting remote communities who require food security
- Underpinning financially unviable stores to remain open
- Deliver positive social outcomes whilst maintaining strong commercial principles
- Presentation of financial reporting regularly to communities
- Return any profits to the community
- Supported by funding from the Australian Government
Stories from Outback Stores
Over the past twelve months we have been working on consolidating our supplier base to improve food affordability. In August this year, through working...
Traditional Owners of Bagala Community Store are making healthier choices easier for the community with the support of Outback Stores, LiveLighter and...
Brianna Sanderson is from Alice Springs and has a Central Arrernte background. Brianna completed a Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics at Flinders...
Twelve community stores were adversely affected by flooding and road closures in the Northern Territory and Western Australia. The Nitjpurru Community...